There is a stage every Gaithersburg winter when you can’t locate the source of the draft in your home. It could possibly be coming from a window that isn’t secured or sealed well. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and cold, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help limit spending and decrease drafty air from entering your home, it’s essential to be able to recognize where these window drafts could be originating from and why. Here are some beneficial tips to identify your Gaithersburg home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Examine for gaps and fractures in uncommon points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the usual windows with functional abilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Examine to ensure that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket around the operable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by establishing if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only operate as well as it is positioned.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Gaithersburg to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to address the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Gaithersburg a call at 202-810-6722 with any additional questions or possible replacement needs.